Have your shiny new Virtual Machine all set up in ESXi? Wondering how to make it Autostart in case of power failure or other host restart scenarios? This mini guide is for you!
Making ESXi auto boot VMs is very simple, these tools are designed for us dumb humans after all.
- On the VMware ESXi web management page, go to “Manage“.
- Under the “System” tab, click on “Autostart“.
- Click “Edit Settings“.
- Tick “Yes” for the “Enabled” box, then “Save”
- Below that, select the Virtual Machines you want to auto start and click “Enable” above them.
- (Optional) Configure the start/stop timer and stop action by going to “Configure”
- You’re done, sit back and enjoy your coffee… or keep working.
It’s a good idea to schedule a test reboot to confirm they fire back up as intended. Obviously if it’s your home lab or a non production server this is much easier!